Summer camp for American High School Students is to promote exchange between the youth of China and the US, and enhance the understanding of US high school students of Chinese language and culture, thus to stimulate their interest in Chinese learning.
This program is organized by Hanban and US Confucius Institutes and supported by Provincial Departments of Education in China. High School Students in America and the chaperons selected will spend around 15 days in China, attending the opening ceremony and related programs in Beijing first and then going to school bases for Chinese international promotion for Chinese language instruction in different provinces.
During the program, students will be studying Chinese language and culture (Paper-cut, calligraphy, brush painting, tea ceremony, martial arts etc.) in traditional classrooms and participating in various sports and cultural activities (basketball friendly match, international students get-together, host family experiences etc.). They will also visit various points of interest of China history and natural scenery.
Qualifications to Apply
For High School Students: Principally we recruit students currently enrolled in credited public/private high schools who meet the following qualities:
- U.S. Citizenship
- Without any Chinese learning background or learning Chinese for less than 3 years (including all Chinese beginners and students in Chinese I, II & III)
- With excellent academic record, and be interested in Chinese language and culture.
- Physically capable of international travelling.
For Teachers: Group teachers are required to meet the following qualities,
- K-12 teaching experiences; more appropriate for those who teach Chinese.
- A wealth of student management experience.
- Previous experience of living/staying in China (not travelling) and well understand China’s basic condition.
- Love teaching; being responsible and compatible.
- Outstanding communication skills and adaptive capacity.
- Physical capability of international travelling.
For Teachers: Group teachers are required to fulfill following duties:
- Help Confucius Institute with pre-departure training.
- Accompany students attend all courses and other activities.
- Coordinate with Hanban and host schools to supervise the life and security of students, taking primary management responsibilities.
- Concern about students; help students physically and psychologically adapt to the new environment. Provide guidance to student behavior.
- In case of emergency, such as student illness or loss of passport, keep close contact with Confucius Institute, Hanban, and host school staffs, as well as accompany the students for medical treatment and so on.
- After summer camp, collect the feedbacks towards the program from attended students. Submit to Hanban a summary report and recommendations of improvement.
Application and Selection Procedure
Qualified student applicants need to submit their application forms, personal application letters, and recommendation letters from schools and/or teachers to Confucius Institute before the deadline. Teacher applicants should submit their resume prior to the same date. Confucius Institutes will conduct primary selections in accordance with the application materials; identify qualified candidates and submit summary information to Hanban. Hanban will inform Confucius Institute with the final selection results. Confucius Institute will then sign Disclaimer Agreement and codes of conduct with selected students and their parents.
Students and teachers are required to undertake the costs on round-trip air tickets (about $1200) and international travel insurance. It is recommended to let Confucius Institute be in charge of group ticket (entry/departure from Beijing) purchase and organize pre-departure training. Students and teachers also need to pay $165 each for visa application. Hanban will take care of the costs of room and board, transportation, activities and sightseeing for students and teachers in China.