Chinese Bridge Delegation for American Schools is a week-long program in China for educators to start and strengthen their institution's Chinese programs and partnerships sponsored by Hanban/ Confucius Institute Headquarters. School principals and district administrators are invited to attend this unique, educational trip to China as guests of Hanban (Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters).
The activities and itinerary of this program are tailored especially to the needs of schools and districts that are planning to start new Chinese programs and/or expanding existing Chinese language and culture programs. The focus of this trip will be on collecting knowledge about the culture, society and education system of China and partnership-building activities, school visits and educational workshops. Participants will learn how to start, strengthen and expand their program, make connections with other educators, and gather valuable resources.
The delegation provides an opportunity to:
- Visit schools and meet with Chinese educators and students
- Participate in partnership-building workshops and networking sessions
- Learn from presentations about successful models and available resources
- Share experiences with U.S. and Chinese educators
- Visit cultural sites in Beijing and other cities
- Learn firsthand about a country that is rapidly changing and rising on the global stage
Who are eligible:
- District and state leaders, principals, and other decision-makers with oversight of foreign language learning.
- District and school leaders from institutions committed to establishing and/ or expanding new Chinese language and culture programs in their schools/districts, and who haven’t participated in Chinese Bridge delegations in 2006-2009, as well as in June 2010.
- Educators from institutions planning to expand their existing Chinese programs by building ties with Chinese schools are encouraged to apply (though selection priority will be given to applicants from institutions without existing programs).
- Multiple applicants from the same institution will be considered. Each applicant is required to submit an individual application.
- All applications are subject to individual review and approval and compliance with applicable laws.
Cost to delegates
Delegates are responsible for half of their individual round-trip international airfare from U.S. to China as well as their Chinese tourist visa fee. Delegates are also responsible for costs and arrangements related to domestic travel to a designated U.S. departure hub, and optional travel insurance.
What is included?
The following costs are covered by this program:
Half of the international round-trip air tickets to Beijing from designated U.S. hub cities.
Travel costs in China, including hotel accommodations, group meals, tour guides and admission tickets, and local and inter-city transportation costs